Pre-register at: Saddle Up Seniors
WKU Equestrian Team
WKU is proud to offer exciting extracurricular equine opportunities to our students. The WKU Equestrian Team competes in the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association (IHSA) and is an affordable option for students wishing to compete at the collegiate level, improve their horsemanship skills, and be part of an equestrian community. Students do not need to own a horse to participate.
Fall 2021 Timeline
- Equestrian Team Informational Meeting – Friday, August 27th at 5:00 PM in the AREC Equine Barn Classroom (406 Elrod Rd. Bowling Green, KY 42104 – Follow Equine Drive to the white horse barn past the indoor arena).
- 2021-2022 Equestrian Team Tryouts – Sign up for tryouts at the Informational Meeting on August 27th or email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a tryout time. Tryouts will occur Monday, August 30th through Friday, September 3rd in the AREC Equine Practice Arena
- Practices – Beginning September 7th, Tuesday/Thursday from 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM, alternate practice Friday 9:00AM – 11:00AM
- Fall IHSA Show Schedule
- September 25-26, 2021 – Sewanee (Hunter)
- October 9-10, 2021 – UT-Knoxville (Western)
- October 23-24, 2021 – Maryville (Hunter)
- November 5-7, 2021 – Murray (Western)
- Spring Show Schedule:
- February 5-6, 2022 – Tennessee Technical College (Western)
- February 12-13, 2022 – Middle Tennessee State University (Hunter)
- February 18-20, 2022 – Middle Tennessee State University (Western)
- TBD – Maryville College (Hunter)
Tryouts are held at the beginning of the fall semester of each academic year. Tryout horses will be provided. Riders will be required to demonstrate competent horse handling and control at the walk and trot/jog. Intermediate and advanced riders will demonstrate the canter/lope. Appropriate footwear (close toed with a heel) and helmet (provided) are required. All interested students are encouraged to try out.
All riders must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours to participate.
All members must maintain a minimum 2.5 grade point average.
Students must enroll in the Basic Equitation course (ANSC 232) their first year on the team.
Students from all majors are welcome on the Equestrian Team.
Members are responsible for local and national IHSA member dues, show class fees, room and board at shows, and show outfit.
Horses and tack will be furnished by WKU for practices and participating universities at shows.
The Equestrian Team holds fundraisers throughout the year to lessen show costs.
Styles and Classes
IHSA Western Team – Western Team riders practice for and compete in divisions ranging from Beginner through Open. Class types include rail, pattern work, ranch riding, and reining for advanced riders.
IHSA English Team – English Team riders practice for and compete in divisions ranging from Beginner through Open. Class types include Hunt Seat Equitation on the Flat, and Hunt Seat Equitation over Fences.
Riders from all discipline backgrounds make up the WKU Equestrian Team. We are an inclusive equine community who strives to improve horsemanship, no matter the riding discipline.
For more information, contact:
Equestrian Team Coaches