WKU Equestrian Team
WKU is proud to offer exciting extracurricular equine opportunities to our students. The WKU Equestrian Team competes in the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association (IHSA) and is an affordable option for students wishing to compete at the collegiate level, improve their horsemanship skills, and be part of an equestrian community. The teams show within the Intercollegiate Horse Shows Association Zone 5 Region 1. Horses are furnished by WKU and other colleges within the region so you do not need your own horse to participate. Practices are required twice weekly at the WKU Farm.
Tryouts are held the second week of classes of the fall semester of each academic year. Tryout horses will be provided. Riders will be required to demonstrate competent horse handling and control at the walk and trot/jog. Intermediate and advanced riders will demonstrate the canter/lope. Appropriate footwear (close toed with a heel) and helmet (provided) are required. All interested students are encouraged to try out.
- must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours to participate.
- Must be an undergraduate student
- must maintain a minimum 2.5 grade point average.
- must enroll in the Basic Equitation course (ANSC 232) their first year on the team. (There are still spots open for the Fall 2022 semester!)
- Students from all majors are welcome on the Equestrian Team.
- Twice weekly practices are free of change for members.
- Members are responsible for local and national IHSA member dues, show class fees, room and board at shows, and show outfit.
- Horses and tack will be furnished by WKU for practices and participating universities at shows.
- The Equestrian Team holds fundraisers throughout the year to lessen show costs.
Styles and Classes
IHSA Western Team – Western Team riders practice for and compete in divisions ranging from Beginner through Open. Class types include rail, pattern work, ranch riding, and reining for advanced riders.
IHSA English Team – English Team riders practice for and compete in divisions ranging from Beginner through Open. Class types include Hunt Seat Equitation on the Flat, and Hunt Seat Equitation over Fences.
NEW – NIRSHA Stock Horse Team – Stock Team riders practice for and compete in Ranch Pleasure, Trail, Reining, and Cow horse events at ASHA and ARHA sanctioned shows in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama. Riders on the Stock Horse Team must also be on the Western IHSA team.
Riders from all discipline backgrounds make up the WKU Equestrian Team. We are an inclusive equine community who strives to improve horsemanship, no matter the riding discipline.
For more information, contact:
Equestrian Team CoachesCreste Jean (270) 935-7366 firstname.lastname@example.org
Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.