WKU Public Broadcasting (Media) is seeking a Broadcast Engineer.
The BE is responsible for implementation of operational and mission goals of WKU Public Media through maintaining systems, development of remote site solutions, ensuring construction compliance, process assembly, and/or remote assignment Engineering needs of the Broadcast Engineering department. The position reports to the Director of Technology of WKU Public Media.
- Under minimal supervision, this position is responsible for implementation of remote transmitter maintenance plans, assigning priority to infrastructure upgrades, and ensures operational continuity.
- This engineering position is responsible for maintaining legal limits and structures governed by the Federal Communications Commission. Additionally, develops plan for reception and distribution of off-air, satellite, studio feeds, radio digital traffic, visual content transmission and locally-originated programming through fiber optic, microwave, OTA, and/or point-to-point transmission technologies.
- This position is responsible for overseeing effective radiated power levels and maintaining them within prescribed legal limits based on license requirements. Also, they assure solutions for faulty system equipment within the timeframe and budget constraints of the operation. Assigns rotation schedule for "trouble" dispatches and "on call" rotation to perform on-site installing, troubleshooting, and testing, splicing, repairing, and maintaining of facilities.
- Ensures quality customer service to broadcast service area and WKU community. Develops priority equipment replacement plans, innovative approaches to solutions and leads student employees through guided work practices.
- Oversees the engineering department relationships with third party technical providers, vendors, and contractors. Implements a strategy record keeping relating to daily, weekly, monthly and annual activities and periodic external regulatory reports as needed and required by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and the Federal Communications Commission.
- Investigates and plans departmental recommendations on future technologies and trends in the public media industry (audio and video) and oversees implementation of new technologies for WKU Public Media.
- Develops and designs the expansion and enhancement of WKU Public Media as technology evolves and industry practices change. Is the primary member of the Broadcast Engineering department.
- Other responsibilities as deemed necessary
Qualities related to the position:
Decision Types (General Business Responsibilities):
Duties and decisions require interpretation and use of independent discretion and only require supervisor approval on major or significant changes or decisions (e.g. you can make small changes or exceptions without approval from your supervisor).
Decision Types (Information Technology Field):
Duties and decisions require the application of systems analysis techniques and procedures OR require design, development, documentation, analysis, creation, testing or modification of computer systems or programs based on and related to user or system design specifications.
Decision Types (Creative Field):
Duties and decisions are work requiring independent invention, imagination, originality or talent in a recognized field of artistic or creative endeavor.
Field of experience required:
Television and Radio Engineering
Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, etc.) - Intermediate skills required
Databases - Basic skills required
Web Development - Basic skills required
Non-linear Editing Software - Advanced skills required
Digital Asset Management - Advanced Skills Required
Knowledge, skills, and abilities proficiency: Job Requirements:
Analytical and critical thinking, frequent travel, repetitive hand motion, ability to bend, stoop, climb stairs/ladders, kneeling/squatting/crawling, ability to lift up to 50lbs. Must be able to work outdoors in all climate conditions.
- Bachelor's degree
- Demonstrated experience in setup and maintenance of broadcast equipment
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work in construction areas or outdoors, at times in inclement weather
- Must be able to dig, lift and carry up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to carry up to 25 pounds while climbing stairs
- Must be able to work from a ladder up to 10 ft.
- Must have a valid driver's license and pass WKU's driver risk screening
Salary Range: $46,100 - $57,900
Kentucky state law requires all public institutions of postsecondary education to conduct pre-employment criminal background checks to determine suitability for employment.
Western Kentucky University (WKU) is committed to a policy and practice of providing equal employment and educational opportunities to all individuals. In accordance with Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Revised 1992, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, no form of discrimination or harassment will be tolerated at WKU on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, creed, religion, political belief, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, age, uniformed services, veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, or physical or mental disability in admission to career and technical education programs and/or activities, or employment practices.
Persons with disabilities, who need reasonable accommodations to participate in the application and/or selection process, should notify the office of Institutional Equity. To request an accommodation, report a complaint, or ask questions regarding WKU's Discrimination and Harassment Policy (#0.2040), please contact Ms. Ena Demir, Executive Director/Title IX Coordinator via email at email@example.com or by phone at (270) 745-6867. Ms. Demir is also responsible for coordinating the University's response to complaints related to sex and gender harassment. Additional information regarding Title IX is accessible via WKU's https://www.wku.edu/titleix/ website.
Information concerning educational programs offered by WKU are provided at: http://www.wku.edu/atwku/academics.php
For information related to job postings, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.